- What's On?
- Your Union
- Fun, Food & Drink
- Get Involved
- Student Life
Hello! I’m Howard, and as part of my role I look after SHU Media which covers SHU Life, our student magazine and SHU Sound, our student radio station.
I also run elections and referenda which are an extremely important part of your Union – to find out more about these take a look at the information below.
T: 0114 225 4129
HallamUnion Democracyand CommunicationsOfficer
WHAT EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS WILL I BRING TO THE ROLE?
I, Howard Duffy, wish to run for the role of Democracy and Communications Officer in 2012/2013. As a third year criminology student, I’m ambitious, motivated and driven towards new challenges. I have learnt to always be prepared, and to meet all those challenges head on. Confidence and charisma are two qualities that are portrayed through my personality. They enable me to be an approachable person who is always ready to listen and take any advice on board to help me develop and improve matters. Whilst being at Hallam I have been an active and reliable member of the Rugby Union team. Being passionate and conscience about my teams image; I partake in discussions to improve the club. Prior to university I gained invaluable skills through completion of Bronze and Silver Duke of Edinburgh awards. Development of these skills made team work a prominent and valuable part of my understanding of how encouragement achieves the best results from myself and others around me. If elected, my aim is to increase the involvement of students within the union. I believe I have the drive and the passion to integrate the growing influences and ideas of students to make an impact within SHU.
IN THIS ROLE I WILL ACHIEVE FOR STUDENTS
1. To increase student participation in the Union.
2. Promotion of what the Union can do for students and what its achievements are throughout the year.
3. Increasing the participation of both voters and candidates in the two elections which take place over the year.
4. Make myself known to Hallam students to allow approachability
5. Interact with elected students to create and develop their roles as representatives.
6. Expand SHU Media through: • Proposing new ways how students can use equipment which the Union has to offer • Bring SHU Media to the attention of more students, by publicising that it is student led which offers development in personal skills • Active Promotion throughout both campuses
7. Continue to progress and improve our Student Union Evaluation initiatives (SUEi)
8. Draw up strategic plans for the marketing and communication of SHU to new and current students.
9. Develop and promote the students understanding of the roles and responsibilities of a union officer.
10. Allow new and current students to be aware of the facilities and resources that the union has to offer. I believe in supporting and expanding YOUR Student Union.
STUDENTS SHOULD VOTE FOR ME BECAUSE: I’m the big man, with even BIGGER ideas for YOUR Union.