- What's On?
- Your Union
- Fun, Food & Drink
- Get Involved
- Student Life
1. Turn off lights, computers, TVs, stereos etc when not in use. Do not use stand by – turn them off at the plug! Standby uses up almost as much electricity as being switched on- not good for the environment or your pocket.
2. When it’s cold, make sure windows and doors are shut to stop heat escaping & close your curtains at night. Lots of heat can escape through open windows and doors
3. Install energy saving light bulbs. They will make their cost back in no time.
4. Only have the heating on when you’re in the house. In winter – wear a jumper rather than turning it up! You will be just as warm and save cash
5. Wash your clothes at 30 rather than 40. An easy way to cut down energy use & bills
6. Have a shower rather than a bath. This is quicker, cleaner and saves water!
7. Report any dripping taps – they can waste a lot of water. A dripping tap can waste 140 litres a week.
8. Boil only the water that you need. Are you brewing up for a football team? If not – don’t fill the kettle all the way to the top!
9. Buy local fresh food. Save transportation costs, keep local traders in business and it tastes much nicer.
10. Reduce, Reuse and Recycle. Reduce and reuse what you use – Sheffield has a good network of recycling points – use them!
11. Refuse plastic carriers – get a cloth re-useable one instead. Billions of plastic bags are given out every year in the UK – why not get a Hallam Union reusable cloth bag instead from the Union shop?
12. Use the bus, walk or cycle rather than drive. Sheffield has an excellent public transport system, lots of cycle paths and is easy to walk around.
13. Use the train over domestic flights where possible. Trains use only a third of the emissions generated through flying. Domestic flights account for 6% of the UK’s Carbon Dioxide emissions.