- What's On?
- Your Union
- Fun, Food & Drink
- Get Involved
- Student Life
We know you are excited about getting your new place sorted for next year, and we know there are loads of rumours flying around that if you don’t sign before Christmas there will be no nice houses left but that is simply not true!
What’s the Don’t Panic! Don’t sign! Campaign?
Every year the Union’s Advice Centre deals with a huge number of cases where students have rushed into signing for properties without properly thinking it all through or making any checks and then live to regret it because the property is unafordable, they’ve falled out with their housemates or the property is unsuitable. And what they don’t realise is that once you’ve signed a housing contract, it is virtually impossible to get out of it before the end of the tennancy!
Come along to the Housing Fair on Tuesday 13th November, 10am – 3pm, The HUBS to meet with reputable landlords and letting agents, and find out all you need to know before signing a contract.
1. I’ve spoken to my friends about whether we’ll be compatible as housemates.
2. I’ve viewed a few properties and have chosen the best for me and my friends.
3. I’ve had a really good look at the property I’m interested in for signs of damp and other potential problems and didn’t see any.
4. I’ve checked with the Accommodation Service that my new Landlord is registered with the Responsible Landlord Scheme.
5. I’ve read the contract and understand what I’m signing for. The Advice Centre in the HUBS can offer advice – but ask before you sign!
6. Probably most importantly – I’ve done my sums and I know I’ll be able to afford the accommodation I’ve chosen.
You can get advice and further information from Hallam Union’s advice centre here.
You can also get advice from Hallam University’s Accommodation Services about looking for your new place, reputable land lords, and whether a house or halls is most suited to you.
Download our Don’t Panic! house hunting toolkit.