- What's On?
- Your Union
- Fun, Food & Drink
- Get Involved
- Student Life
We know you are excited about getting your new place sorted for next year, and we know there are loads of rumours flying around that if you don’t sign before Christmas there will be no nice houses left but that is simply not true!
Hallam Students’ Union Housing Fair – Tuesday 26th November 11am-4pm, The HUBS
Come along to the Housing Fair on Tuesday 26th November, 11am – 4pm, The HUBS to meet with reputable landlords and letting agents, and find out all you need to know before signing a contract. Our Advice Centre will be offering free contact checking and budgeting advice and there will be information about Tennancy Deposit Protection Schemes.
Tell us about your experiences of looking for student housing and enter a draw for £50 of high street shopping vouchers.
This year Hallam Student’s Union is proud to announce it’s partnership with Sheffield Hallam University and Sheffield City Council on a new accrediation scheme for student properties called Snug. This accreditation is the best way to ensure your property is of a good standard and the Landlord is reliable and trustworthy.
If you’re unable to attend the Housing Fair, the easiest way to search for Snug accredited properties is via the University Accommodation Service’ Website.
1. I’ve spoken to my friends about whether we’ll be compatible as housemates.
2. I’ve viewed a few properties and have chosen the best for me and my friends.
3. I’ve had a really good look at the property I’m interested in for signs of damp and other potential problems and didn’t see any.
4. I’ve checked with the Accommodation Service that my new Landlord is registered with the Responsible Landlord Scheme.
5. I’ve read the contract and understand what I’m signing for. The Advice Centre in the HUBS can offer advice – but ask before you sign!
6. Probably most importantly – I’ve done my sums and I know I’ll be able to afford the accommodation I’ve chosen.
You can get advice and further information from Hallam Union’s advice centre here.
You can also get advice from Hallam University’s Accommodation Services about looking for your new place, reputable land lords, and whether a house or halls is most suited to you.
Download our Don’t Panic House Hunting Toolkit.