- What's On?
- Your Union
- Fun, Food & Drink
- Get Involved
- Student Life
Hallam Union is a democratic organisation which means students are at the heart of all our big decisions! To help us keep the Union offering the services you want we have student representatives that represent student views on various aspects of the Union.
Each student representative has to be voted into position in a cross campus election. Every student has a chances to vote on who will be representing them. Think of it like voting for your favourite MP to represent you in government decisions. In Union democracy, you are voting for your favourite student candidate to represent you in Union decisions.
So, you are probably wondering why you should vote? Here are just some of the benefits of voting for your favourite candidates:
- If you vote, you will be using your voice and making a difference to the University experience
- The Elections will determine who will be out there representing you to the Union and the University in the next academic year
- The successful candidates will have a real influence over how Hallam Union is run
- Hallam Student Officers will take your views, and represent them to the University
- Elected candidates will be representing over 35,000 Sheffield Hallam University students
- Hallam Student Officers and representatives will campaign on issues affecting you
- Hallam Student Officers will promote and defend the rights of all members of Hallam union
Hallam Union Officers have recently;
- influenced the Academic Feedback process to ensure you get your feedback within 3 weeks
- helped retrieve £250,000 of money owed to students from landlords
- through RAG helped Hallam Students give over £3500 to be given to charity!
- provided students with real employment skills, through work placements, volunteering programs, and campaigning
- helped students stay healthy and active through its Get Active programme
- listened to student feedback and changed the delivery of the elections
- represented students to SHU at the highest strategic level
So don’t leave your Universities and Students’ Union’s future to chance, make sure you vote for the candidates you want to represent you in the next academic year!
When we are holding an election you will get an email direct to your student address. This will have information about the election, the candidates and why you should vote. It will also contain a link so you can place your vote on our online voting system.
Voting in elections is done by transferrable vote. If you aren’t sure what this mean this video explains it all!