- What's On?
- Your Union
- Fun, Food & Drink
- Get Involved
- Student Life
Hallam Union is a charity and as such must have a Board of Trustees to oversee key decision making which relates to the future of Hallam Union. The trustees have a responsibility to ensure that Hallam Union is not threatened by wrong financial decisions, does not break the law and that the work that is being done is for the benefit of its members – Hallam students.
The trustees are not a part of the representative side of Hallam Union, which is handled by Union Council, Referenda and Assembly.
The Trustee board consists of:
Hallam Union will be looking for more Trustees in 2013/14, for more information about becoming a Trustee contact Alice Game your Democracy and Communications Officer on firstname.lastname@example.org
General Purpose of the Role:
The purpose of the role is to oversee the management and administration of the Union with particular responsibility for governance, solvency and strategy.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. To ensure that Hallam Union acts within accordance of its governing documents, the Articles of Governance and Bye Laws.
2. To ensure that Hallam Union acts within accordance of relevant legislation specific to the governance of the organisation including, but not limited to, The Education Act 1994 and The Charities Act 2006.
3. To ensure that Hallam Union remains true to the vision of the organisation ensuring the union strives to enrich and support the Hallam student experience.
4. To ensure that the funds of the Union are spent in accordance with the charitable aims and objectives of the organisation.
5. To ensure the financial stability of Hallam Union: to monitor the financial performance of the Union and ensure that it remains solvent and financially secure.
6. To use their personal skills and experience to ensure the Union is well-run and efficient.
7. To attend and fully engage with the Hallam Union Trustee Board meetings (at least 5 per year) and to appropriately prepare for such meetings. This will include scrutinising Board papers, effective questioning, focusing on key issues, providing advice and guidance on new
initiatives and/or any other issues in which they have expertise.
8. To attend the Hallam Union Trustee Training.
Experience and Skills:
This opportunity will present Student Trustees with a chance to develop, hone and demonstrate skills within the following abilities: The ability to think strategically The ability to effectively form independent judgement The ability and willingness to speak and express their opinion whilst considering other and possibly conflicting opinions. The ability to accept collective responsibility and work as part of a team
The ability to understand and accept legal duties and responsibilities together with Trustee liability. The ability to maintain confidentiality on confidential and/or sensitive information The ability to manage challenging situations and handle competing priorities The ability to value diversity and be actively committed to equality of opportunity
In order to be eligible to nominate as a student trustee you need to be a registered student at Sheffield Hallam University.
For more detailed outline of powers, duties and responsibilities of Hallam Union’s Trustee Board please refer to the Articles of Governance of the Union.